Today’s heat pumps are sophisticated machines, which is great for energy efficiency, but it means that there’s more to learn as a consumer. If you’re upgrading your home in Tequesta or if you like to stay up-to-date on the latest HVAC technology, here’s what you need to know about the efficiencies of a new heat pump.
Efficiency Ratings for A Heat Pump
Heat pumps perform two jobs, so they have separate ratings for heating and air conditioning. In Florida, the minimum SEER rating for cooling is 14, and scores go above 22 for high-efficiency systems. Heating seasonal performance factor ratings start at 8.2 and go into the lower teens. Despite the small numerical difference, this can equate to a 40% decrease in energy use. Homeowners can choose from three types of heat pumps depending on their efficiency goals.
- Single-stage models use proven technology that provides a single level of heating and cooling. These conventional systems achieve efficiency levels as high as 17 SEER and 9.5 HSPF.
- Two-stage heat pumps use specially designed compressors and fans that have two operating speeds. These systems run at 40% capacity most of the time and kick into high gear as needed.
- Variable systems feature multi-stage compressors that modulate in tiny increments. These systems also slow the airflow, which prevents temperature swings and aids in humidity control.
Benefits of A High-Efficiency Heat Pump
Multi-stage compressors have been one of the biggest HVAC breakthroughs in decades. Today’s efficient designs perform better in extreme temperatures, and they provide a variety of other benefits.
- Increased humidity removal
- Enhanced allergen control
- Reduced temperature swings
- Improved indoor air quality
- Extended equipment life
Two-stage compressors and variable speed fans are standard on most midrange systems. Although there’s a price premium, this worthwhile upgrade can lower your energy bills for years to come. If you’d like to learn more, call Miklos Air, Inc. at 561-264-5138. You can also view our selection of Trane and Carrier heat pumps online.